Wednesday 28 May 2008

Glastonbury - a view for visitors

They met office say it's going to be a hot one, and they are right. This time I travelled down without Sally which is better for me, ashe she just stresse's me out, I can still rember the last time she came down with me. She ran out of money and expected me to pay out everthing for her, then started petty argumernts with me when she couldn't get her own way! She also took over everthing I wanted to do, and I didn't get to do all the things I wanted. This time was different as it was me in charge and I was looking forward to it. The weather was nice and sunny, I made sure I got to the station in time. Saw Liz Stout on the way to Oxfam and stopped to talk for a while, I had my England bandana on because England had a big game against Argentina on Saturday. I managed to get the 10.40 train, not so crowded this time which is a damn nightmare. Got talking to another lady who was going to bath, it's amazing the people you meet, she was doing her knitting which is something I have long forgotten. Got off at Bristol Temple Meads, had about 15 minutes until the bus, you can always hear the sound of seagulls in the station althrough we are miles from the sea. Caught the 376 bus which was going to Street, I havn't been there for a long time but I might check it out at a later date. Takes an hour and three minutes to get to Glastonbury, have to stop at Wells first. Looks a nice little town, but there doesn't seem to be a lot there.

Got to Glastonbury at 12ish, couldn't sign in until 4.00, so I left my bag and wandered down to the libuary, it is the smallest one I have ever seen but it was nice and cool away from the haet. Found the witchcraft and Wicca section which is intresting, took down some notes for later. I didn't look at the shops yet as that's something I had planned for Saturday before I went to find somewhere to watch the game. Signed into the big orange room, there wasn’t anyone there yet. Went to find a Safeway and Morrisons supermarket, I chose Morrisons which is about five mins away. Sat outside by the crown which is the pub that also belongs to Backpackers. I can’t use a grill in the kitchen, as they don’t have one, although they do have a microwave. Met two other girls, one is from Sweden, while the other is staying at the hostel until she can get the keys to her house in Glastonbury. Beds were quite comfortable although the room was very stuffy due to the heat, so I slept on top of the bed instead. Blue skies and warm sunshine in the morning, I could choose what-ever I wanted instead of Sally’s damn nagging all the time which I had to put up with! I went to the TIC which has a small courtyard, there’s also a Goddess Temple where you can remove your sandals or shoes and sit down to meditate. It was very hot and the wooden boards of the balcony were burning my feet, I almost feel asleep in the temple. I did manage to get to the Tor, I missed the bus and there wouldn’t be one until 2pm and gut feeling told me to go down to the big car park. I discovered that a taxi was going up with two other people for half the price. It was boiling so I grabbed hold of a drink from the newsagents, the climb up to the Tor took about fifteen minutes but it was well worth it for the view. Met a family who were passing through, the friend who was with me said she could see the lay lines running from the Tor. Walked down the Chalice Well Gardens, legs were KILLING me! It’s very pleasant in the gardens; the water you can drink which comes out of a lion’s mouth has a tinny taste. I put my feet into the spring and my toes actually went numb. There’s a tap outside the garden, but a lot of homeless gather round there. I never did look at the Glastonbury town museum, maybe next time.

I did watch the game at the Crown next door to the hostel. I sat on a table on my own next to two ladies who thought they were there for a quiet drink, yeah right! Someone had a football horn and there was a lot of yelling and cheering, we were so bloody close but there was a lot of fouling etc; then Rooney was bloody sent off! That was so bloody wrong! David Beckham is stepping down from being captain so I don’t know who will take over. Someone smashed d a beer glass in anger at Rooney’s departure. I could have worn my England shirt, but I couldn’t be bothered as the heat was up. Went to the abbey on Sunday, the weather was nice. It was so peaceful all you cold hear was the wind in the trees and the birds. I managed to find Arthur’s grave and tagged a long with a tour and some school kids. Found the fish and duck pond, there was a big fish cruising round, even the geese looked fagged out. Touched the holy thorn, although I think the original is up on the Tor, I need to look for Magog and Gog two ancient oak tree’s. Said goodbye to the goddess before I left on Monday for the bus, I also saw Dianne in there which was nice. It's been an experience which I hope to repeat. Ted said he would like to come with me, lets hope the weather keeps up.

No comments: