Wednesday 28 May 2008

Downton Cuckoo Fair


One of the better ways to celebrate May and one of the longest events in the area. Went with Jenny and Ryan this year, they are friends of mine who are in Lifestyles. Had to meet Penny at Debenenhams at 10.45 with Ted, before rushing like a bolt of lightening to the post office only to find that the qeaue was halfway out the door and down the street! Jenny & Ryan didn't turn up until one anyway which was annoying as the event starts at 10am. I spent the next two hours playing Avengers pin ball on his pc, Barbara has a high score on the Roswell pinball which I don't think anyone will beat.
Downton is about 5 miles out of Salisbury, I have cycled there through Odestock village; i think the council are fixing the bridge at the moment. There's a large field at Downton which they turned into a carpark, you can tell which car was Ryans because he had two England flags on the doors. One of them he had lost that afternoon & was seen on the embankment by the Highpost. Everyone's going to have those soon, as England are compeating for the cup in June. The Cuckoo Fair is always crowded, it's hard to stay together without someone getting in the way.
The Fair is very popular, with 20,000 visitors probably there. There's lots of stalls (250) & two tents which are like ovens, you can also see steam rising from the barbeque stands. I managed to find a Pentagram ring, or rather Penny saw it for me. It was about £7.99 & much cheaper then the market, I will be visiting Glastonbury on Monday so I will have to reign myself in; I intend to get a Moon calandar.
Jenny got annoyed that Ryan & Ted vanished & rang them up, found them by the maypole. There was a bloke doing Hank Marvin songs & he was very good. I was quite surprised at the weather as it was pleasant, shame it will be raining when I go to Glastonbury on Monday.
Left round about 4pm, I think most people will gather at the Bull in Downton to get pissed (basically). We stopped off at Teds, as he had to get some things as he is staying up Jennys. Buzzed off to the Laverstock social where we spent the next evening getting razzled, nice to see everyone again. For more details of these places & people I have mentioned, they have been listed elsewhere.

No comments: